Thursday, July 9, 2009

Election tantra & the art of delay

I have two pieces in the current print edition of Capital Xtra - a reprint of my online story about Réal Ménard's resignation, as well as a large analysis piece about the latest bout of election speculation. (The online title, currently on the Xtra.ca national page, is different, but I went with the print title here).

I really enjoyed the process of writing this piece, really being able to plunge into the entrails of what happened during the last week of the Commons spring sitting, and to get to engage with a few other people about it. I had a really great and long conversation with Dr. Catherine Côté from the University of Ottawa, a lot about how politics and the media intersect (which is her field of study), but unfortunately, most of it didn't make it into this particular piece. I'm hoping, however, to return to that particular topic soon enough.

During the editing process, it was decided to make more of a focus on the current Conservative law-and-order agenda push, which I'd explored in previous pieces as blatant electioneering, and to that end, we added a sidebar full of law-and-order bills that have all been introduced (something I ended up writing last-minute, late night during my vacation in Toronto). In all, I think it gave the piece a bit more focus, and I'm pleased with the results.

No comments: