Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Divers/cité scales back after being denied federal funds; Black and Blue worried

I have a new piece on the national page of Xtra.ca today, and it was a bit of a doozy. My day started with a press conference at 10 am, in a local restaurant that was so muggy and humid I thought I was going to melt. And from there, it was going flat-out until I filed the piece, around 6.30.

It was definitely one of those stories that many of my Press Gallery colleagues were hot on the trail of, and I'd like to think that I dug a lot deeper than many of them, especially with respect to what the impacts are for Divers/cité and potentially Black and Blue, though I will say that I was able to play off some of the ongoing coverage throughout the day. I also have some fairly unique figures that none of the other outlets looked at (for example, the per capita funding) so I think I provided a bit of a unique angle to the coverage. Nevertheless, as exhausting as the day ultimately was, it was very fulfilling and worthwhile.

No comments: