Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Where are all the gay characters on Canadian television?

I have a piece up on the National page of Xtra.ca today, which is the culmination of nearly three weeks of hard work. It was an enormous challenge to assemble all of the various parts of this article, and yet in the end, it all managed to come together.

For starters, contacting the various networks was difficult in and of itself because I kept getting passed between so many different people that my deadlines had lapsed twice before I finally tracked down figures from everyone. And once that was done, trying to find someone to comment on the significance or causes was even more of a challenge. Apparently there is virtually no one in Canadian academia who can comment on gays and lesbians on television. In the end, however, one of my fellow journalists suggested I talked to Brad Fraser and arranged an introduction, and Fraser turned out to be almost perfect to talk to. I was also glad that I could use some of my notes from my previous article on Jeff Geddis and Sophie and incorporate them into this piece.

Overall, despite the headaches and frustrations, I'm incredibly proud of the piece, and I hope it garners some attention.

No comments: