Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Smaller magazines to take funding hit

Hitting the Xtra.ca national page a day ahead of its print release for the upcoming issue of Capital Xtra is a piece I wrote on the changes being made to the Canada Magazine Fund. This was an incredibly interesting article to write, as it affects the publishing industry, especially as one of my usual outlets (being Outlooks) may be affected by these changes.

The writing process for this piece was quite long and fairly research-intensive, and I did a lot of interviews to understand the current situation and how the changes are being introduced. I also attended a Heritage committee meeting where the executive director of Magazines Canada was a witness, though as it turned out, his attendance was somewhat problematic as the meeting was really to discuss the cuts to the PromArts and Trade Routes funding, and his presence had been requested by the government members somewhat out of the blue (and hence, he barely spoke the whole meeting). Nevertheless, I'm glad he was there, since it gave me the opportunity to talk to him about the issue.

Amazingly, I managed to get key interview points into the piece from pretty much every subject, which can be incredibly difficult to do in a piece this size. The only person that I wasn't able to get a quote from was the Liberal Heritage Critic, Pablo Rodriguez, due largely to scheduling conflicts, but it turned out well in spite of that absence. I'm incredibly proud of this piece now that it's seeing print.

No comments: