Friday, March 6, 2009

Citizens' group gung ho about Village

My other piece in the current issue of Capital Xtra is a conversation between the president of the Centretown Citizen's Community Association, and the head of the Village Initiative. Going into writing it, I knew that it would actually be in two formats - a summarised version for the print edition, with the longer piece to show up online. And that's how I wrote it up.

Well, what ended up happening was that my summarised piece was pretty much killed, while an excerpt from the transcript was in the print edition, with a note at the bottom to check the website to read the whole conversation. And then there was a bottleneck issue on the website, and it didn't show up there for another two days (which is why I'm posting this now, and not on Wednesday when the print edition came out).

Part of why I enjoyed this piece was that it allowed me a chance to introduce these two people in the community. I had some success a couple of years ago when I did a group interview with a bunch of sports teams headed to the Outgames in Montreal, and as a result, they got together and formed a quasi-organisation for the city to have some unified representation there. (It didn't much last, but it was a start). That said, I'm hoping that introducing these two individuals will be a way to help contribute to the community through my journalistic efforts.

No comments: