Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thoughts From the Hill - December Edition + Olympic Cleansing

I have two articles in the December/January edition of Outlooks. The first is the usual Thoughts from the Hill panel, and this month I looked at the Canadian Access to Medicines Regime (CAMR) bills which are currently wending their way through the House and Senate. I've been following the two bills over on my Hill Queeries blog, and I was glad to carry over the debate to this platform. I was also very lucky that the legislative process didn't happen any faster, and that the two bills are coming up on important votes soon, rather than having already happened by now. (Such is the danger of being a monthly publication trying to be very timely and topical).

My other piece is a longer, more investigative look at the kinds of "social cleansings" happening around the Vancouver Olympics, and how that related to the kinds of cleansings from the Montreal Olympics in '76. I was turned onto this idea when I wrote about the queer youth and history article a couple of issues ago, so I'm glad that I got to explore this topic a little further.

Thoughts from the Hill is on page 16 of the issue, while the Olympics cleansing piece is on pages 23 and 24. You can download the full issue in .pdf format here.

No comments: