Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Queer calls unheeded as refugee bill dies

I have a new piece up on the Xtra.ca national page today, which is one of the pieces that I finished last week. This has been an issue that I've had my eye on for several months now, and as a result, I've developed a bit of a rapport with some of the MPs at the centre of this. Being able to track an issue like this is something that I've really come to appreciate in doing the work I do in the Press Gallery, and working for a smaller group of venues like the Xtra chain means that I can really focus on a smaller number of issues, and report on them better. (The bills around reforming Canada's Access to Medicines Regime is another good example, but most of that tracking is taking place on my Hill Queeries blog.

As for this particular piece, Olivia Chow's reaction was dropped in the editing process, but otherwise it really captures what the fallout of the defeat of the bill in question was for groups concerned.

No comments: