Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Immigration bid waylaid

I have a piece in the Toronto Xtra today, which is a bit unusual, though the editor called me up there and asked me to cover it since I do deal mostly with federal politics. It was an issue I had heard of, but I was interested to hear that he'd found the "gay angle" to it. But what was most interesting was to hear the refugee claimant's story. I told him he didn't have to tell me, to just give me broad strokes, but he poured it out to me, and it was absolutely heartbreaking to hear everything that he had been through, and to have to continue to live in limbo, his work permit nearing expiration while he continues to wait on Federal Court delays. At the same time, I had no idea about the ways in which the laws surrounding Federal Court justices were being subverted with these appointments of over-aged deputy justices. Quite an interesting story all around.

No comments: