Tuesday, March 8, 2011

HIV spending way up in federal prisons

I have a new feature story up on the main page of Xtra.ca, which is something I worked on over the January break, and it's finally out. It all originated after my earlier story on funding levels for the Federal Initiative on HIV/AIDS, and the amount of money that Corrections was receiving made me curious. So I dug into things, and came up with this piece.

That said, I'm a bit disappointed that a few things ended up on the cutting room floor - the significance of bleach as a harm reduction tool (implicit acknowledgement that there are needles being used, but it's an ineffective strategy), and the fact that the one successful programme being funded is the post-release treatment coordination. Nevertheless, it was a rewarding piece to write, and I'm hoping it'll generate some interest.

No comments: