Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Harper's Malawi G20 meeting is a 'minimum,' say opposition MPs

I have a new piece up on Xtra.ca today which looks at the Canadian response to the story of the two gay men sentenced to 14 years in Malawi. This was probably the first piece where I was sourcing quotes from the PMO, which was a bit of an experience in and of itself, but nevertheless, they were fairly fast and efficient in getting back to me when I needed it. Add to that, doing a bit more research on the CIDA website, I was able to have a more informed take on Canada's aid commitments to Malawi than some other mainstream editorials had on the subject.

I also wanted to mention that some responses to previous iterations of the Malawi story have labelled one of the two men as trans, as he had described himself as the "wife" of the other. As of this time, I'm not going to include such a label because I don't know that it's necessarily accurate, or if they simply don't have a vocabulary for gay relationships in Malawi, where it is still underground and forbidden, and therefore they may engage in heterosexist terms like "husband and wife" rather than using a same-sex terminology.

No comments: