Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Is Canada's top court addicted to compromise? + What kind of Justice will Thomas Cromwell be?

I have three pieces in this edition of Capital Xtra, and these two constitute a major opus that I have been working on for the past couple of months. The first and largest piece is a feature-length look at the way in which the Supreme Court has been changing under the leadership of Chief Justice Beverly McLachlin, as opposed to how it was under Antonio Lamer. The piece took a great deal of research and there was a couple of hours' worth of interviews and at the same time, I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface of the topic. It's something I would certainly like to revisit in the future.

The second piece, which was a sidebar to this feature, looks at Justice Thomas Cromwell, who the Prime Minister nominated to fill the vacancy on the Supreme Court of Canada. I interviewed one of his former colleagues at Dalhousie University, and got an insight into who he is.

No comments: