Monday, September 5, 2011

Gays and lesbians in the House of Commons

I have a guest post on Samara Canada's blog as part of their series on diversity in the House of Commons, where I look at the topic of gay and lesbian MPs in the 41st Parliament. This all began a couple of months ago when a fairly active member of Ottawa's queer community wrote to Samara to ask why they didn't already talk about queer MPs in their diversity series, and when they said they didn't know enough about the topic, he suggested me to them, and I was happy to take it on. It was a nice chance to talk about some of the work I do on a regular basis to a broader audience, and to bring up some issues that are perhaps a bit more under the radar, like the urban/rural divide within the queer community, and how that even plays out in the House of Commons. It was a great experience, and I'm really thankful that Samara asked me to participate.

No comments: