Friday, September 24, 2010

Critics slam Conservative MP's pitch to make buying sex illegal in Canada

I have a new story on the national page of Xtra.ca today, which takes a closer look at the proposal by Conservative MP Joy Smith to adopt the "Swedish model" of prostitution laws in Canada as a means of combatting human trafficking. It was an interesting story to write because I learned a lot about the differences in the laws between Canada and Sweden, but I also got to talk with new Liberal justice critic Marlene Jennings. And Jennings promises to return phone calls in a timely manner, unlike her predecessor.

To that end, I also have a "deleted scenes" Q&A post with Jennings on the Hill Queeries blog, which includes a video shot by Jennings' sister, who was visiting Parliament that day, and includes footage of my interview with her.

No comments: