Friday, August 21, 2009

Weighing in on nominations helps to shape federal party policy

Today I have a piece on the Capital Xtra website, which I'm pretty passionate about. (That it was supposed to have gone up on last Monday is another matter). A few years ago, during the last Ottawa Centre Liberal nomination race, my then-flatmate volunteered on a campaign, and I got to witness what this kind of grassroots democracy in action looks like. It inspired me to think more about this institution we call Parliamentary Democracy, and just what it is that most Canadians don't see - the ground-level participation that gets them involved in politics, and counters the disconnect and apathy that currently plagues politics in this country. When these nominations came around again, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to try and get more people to see these nominations as the way to get involved.

I've interviewed both of the Liberal candidates, and those interviews should go up any time. (They were supposed to have been up before Wednesday to give people the chance to purchase memberships before the Monday cut-off, but these things are apparently out of my hands). As the nomination races continue, I'm looking forward to covering them more.

No comments: