Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Canada's record of criminalization creep

I have a piece in the new issue of Capital Xtra which is the first of a two-part series which examines the "criminalisation creep" of HIV in Canada. The Xtra chain has been engaging in an advocacy campaign about HIV criminalisation for a while, but until now, there has been no long-form examination of the history of the creep - which is what part one focuses on - nor has there been a solid examination of the solutions or alternatives, which is what part two will focus on when it comes out in three weeks' time.

That said, this was an article that kicked my ass. It was long and gruelling, and trying to find a criminal law professor who could speak to the issues at this time of year was almost impossible. However, after a long trail of phone calls and emails that went from one professor to the next, I eventually found someone at Osgoode Hall who, while he couldn't help me, forwarded me a law journal article on the very subject I was looking at, as well as the contact information for its author. That is what put this piece over the top from a good piece to a great one (in my humble opinion). It was originally going to be one huge piece, but my editor decided to break it up into two parts, which allows me time to add a few more pieces to the second half that there simply wasn't room for before. I'm incredibly happy with the work in this piece, and I look forward to the release of the second part.

No comments: