Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Liberals set to crown Iggy at convention, but party mum on new policy resolutions

I have a piece up today on the national page of Xtra.ca on the Liberal convention in Vancouver this weekend. This is the first of two pieces about the convention, the second hopefully going up later today or first thing tomorrow.

My colleagues in the Press Gallery keep asking if I'll be attending the convention, and alas, I won't be. One of the drawbacks of freelancing, and writing for an organisation that doesn't have the budget for it. Nevertheless, it's been an interesting story to follow, and there was plenty more to talk about that didn't fit into my word-count. Things like the "Council of Presidents" that will be meeting, and more about the party learning how to adapt to new technologies like Twitter and Facebook to get engage with their grassroots.

Something else that unfortunately didn't make it in was this amusing quote from Peter Bochove: "I think their principal thing they may be talking about is the economy and how to beat that son-of-a-bitch that’s currently in power, and that’s fine with me – provided that after the election, we can re-open this dialogue."

No comments: