Thursday, February 12, 2009

Justice committee to look at hate speech law

I had a piece go up on the Xtra.ca national page yesterday regarding the issue of Section 13 of the Canadian Human Rights Act, and a motion before the Commons Justice committee about examining that section. This is an issue that I will be doing a lot more coverage on, once the committee's investigation starts getting underway a little more.

As part of writing this piece, I attended a sitting of the Commons Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights for the first time, earlier in the week, and most of these interviews were done in the Commons foyer post-Question Period the following day.

I was also interested to note the that my editor chose to link to a column written by one of the Pink Triangle Press (Xtra's publishers) board members, which should give you a sense of the editorial viewpoint that they're taking on the issue (even though I am writing about the issue as impartially as possible).

No comments: