Tuesday, February 28, 2012

ANALYSIS: Unpacking the latest refugee reform bill

I have a major analysis story on the national page of Xtra.ca, where I take apart the new refugee reform bill, and I also take a closer look at the rhetoric that Jason Kenney uses to justify the bill - and poke a bunch of holes in it. It was a pretty major undertaking, but I got to speak to a lot of experts in the field and got a really good picture of the bill, though I did have some of this from the last time these issues were debated. The story did lose a couple of things in the editing process - notably the comparisons to the Australian system that Kenney likes to cite, and some of the context around the Roma community, which many of the measures in the bill target, but I'm quite happy with the chance to write such a lengthy and in-depth analysis.

No comments: