Thursday, January 13, 2011

Immigration rules for gay couples haven't been toughened: CIC

I have a new story up on the national page of Xtra.ca today, which is a vastly different story than the one I had initially set out to write. Last Thursday, the Toronto Sun put out a story about how immigration officials were "tightening" the rules for same-sex couples. But as I looked into this further, which not only involved speaking with department officials, but getting my hands on the very same Access to Information documents the Sun cited, it turned out that the Sun story was completely bogus. And so my story went from looking into the supposed rule changes to debunking them. Like I said - not what I had in mind, but that's the thing about this job. Things don't always turn out the way you expect.

No comments: